The station was established in 1951 as "Lemon grass Breeding Station" under the Department of Industries of the erstwhile Travancore-Cochin Government. The Centre was brought under the Department of Agriculture with effect from 1-8-1954 and renamed "Lemongrass Research Station". The main objective of the Centre was to provide adequate reasearch support for lemongrass cultivation in the state. Consequent to the formation of the KAU in 1972, the station became an integral part of the Uni-versity's research system. The station was named as Aromatic and Medicinal Plants Research Station (AMPRS) in 1982. This institution is recognised as lead centre for lemongrass research at national and international level. United Nations Industrial Development Organisation usually directs the entrepreneurs to this centre for advice regarding their research and development needs on lemongrass. A Regional Analytical Laboratory for medicinal and aromatic plants started functioning on 31.12.1993.