The General Council is the supreme authority of the University.
- It shall have the powers to review the actions of the Executive Committee and Academic Council
- It shall determine what degrees; diplomas and other academic distinctions shall be granted
- It shall make, amend or repel Statutes.
- It shall have powers to cancel or amend any ordinances, institute fellowship and create teaching or other posts, as it may deem necessary and to prescribe terms and conditions of service of the employees.
- The General Council shall be reconstituted once in every three years.
- Ordinarily, the Council meets once in four months.
- The General Council has three sub-committees namely Statute Sub Committee, Accounts Committee and Assurance Committee
Constitution of the General Council
The General Council consists of 49 members
Ex-officio Members (20)
- The Chancellor
- The Pro-Chancellor
- The Vice-Chancellor
- The Agricultural Production Commissioner
- The Secretary to Government, Department of Agriculture
- The Secretary to Government, Department of Finance (Resources)
- The Secretary to Government, Department of Fisheries
- The Secretary to Government, Department of Animal Husbandry
- The Director of Agriculture
- The Director of Animal Husbandry
- The Director of Dairy Development
- The Director of Fisheries
- The Principal Chief Conservator of Forests
- The Chairman, Rubber Board
- The Chairman, Spices Board
- The Chairman, Marine Products Export Development Authority
- The Director, CPCRI
- The Director, KFRI
- Representative of ICAR
- MLA representing the constituency in which the HQ of KAU is situated
Elected Members (15)
- Four members from the Legislative Assembly (Including SC/ST)
- One member elected from Deans of faculties
- Two members elected by the students of the University
- Four members elected by the teachers of the University
- Two members elected by the non-teaching staff of the University
- Two members elected by the Permanent Labourers of the University
Members nominated by the Chancellor (11)
- Four eminent scientists
- Four farmers (one SC/ST and one a woman)
- One member from the Association of Planters
- Two Presidents of Grama Panchayat
Other Members (3)
Three members to represent the Universities of Calicut, Cochin and Kerala
Powers and functions of the General Council
- To determine what degrees, diplomas and other academic distinctions shall be granted by the university.
- To make, amend or repeal Statutes either of its own motion or in the motion of the Executive Committee.
- To cancel or amend any ordinance passed by the Executive Committee or any Regulation passed by the Academic Council.
- To institute fellowships, scholarships, studentships, bursaries’ medals and prizes and organise exhibitions in accordance with the provisions of the Act, Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations.
- To institute professorships, readership, lectureship and such other teaching or research posts as it may deem necessary.
- To establish and maintain such institutions as it may, from time to time, deem necessary.
- To prescribe the terms and conditions of service of the employees of the University.
- To regulate emoluments and prescribe the duties and conditions of service of teachers.
- To review and take such action as it may deem fit on the annual report and the annual accounts of the university which shall be placed before it by the Executive Committee and to consider and pass the budget according to the provisions of the Statutes.
- To cancel any degree, diploma, title or any other distinction granted to any person in accordance with the provisions of the Statutes.
- To appoint committees and to delegate to them such functions of the General Council as it may deem fit.
- To make Statutes regulating the method of election to the authorities of the university, the procedure at the meetings of the General Council, the Executive Committee and other authorities of the University and quorum of members required for the transaction of business by the authorities of the University other than the General Council.
- To co-operate with other Universities and other authorities in such manner and for such purposes as it may determine.
Last updated on April 18, 2016